Close
Skip to content
  • Careers Advice including Apprenticeships

Careers Options

If you are not sure what career you could pursue in the NHS take this simple test

 

https://www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk/

 

Please contact us if you would like further information about any Primary or Community Care Career.

An overview of apprenticeships

App Logo Col 5185

Apprenticeship training programmes are a fantastic way to develop your workforce and expand your service.  Apprenticeships provide:

  • robust, high-quality training
  • development for your existing and new employees
  • entry level 2 to post-graduate level 7 qualifications
  • funded training with financial incentives

There are over 600 apprenticeship programmes available over a range of professional areas.  These include clinical and non-clinical qualifications such as:

  • Physician Associate Level 7
  • Senior Leader Level 7
  • Trainee Nurse Associate Level 5
  • Operations Manager Level 5
  • Team Leader Level 3
  • Business Administration Level 3
  • Clinical Coder Level 3
  • Healthcare Support Worker Levels 2 and 3
  • Customer Service Levels 2 and 3

To view a list of apprenticeships relevant to Primary care click here

To view all apprenticeships relevant to the health and care sector click here

To view all apprenticeship standards available nationally click here

For help with implementing apprenticeships in your Practice or organisation, speak to Kusham Nijhar: Kusham.nijhar@nhs.net

or call 07835 939553.

Easy four step process

1

Identify a gap within your surgery and decide on the job role you wish to fill

2

Identify and contact the training provider for that job role

3

Advertise and recruit

4

Provide on-going support to the apprentice

Funding

  • If you employ less than 50 people and employ an apprentice aged 18 or under, the government will fund 100% of their training programme and pay you a £1000 incentive per apprentice to help towards the cost of training.
  • If you employ someone 19 and over, they will still contribute 95% towards the cost of the associated training programme, leaving you to cover only 5%.
  • If you employ more than 50 people but are not an apprenticeship levy payer (your annual payroll in England is less than £3 million) the government will still contribute 95% of the cost of each apprenticeship training programme, and pay you a £1000 incentive for each apprentice under the age of 18.
  • For apprentices under 25, you do not pay NI contributions.

For more information go here.

If you are unsure where to start, contact kusham.nijhar@nhs.net

Functional Skills –learning pathways

Health Education England have released an excellent video about the different learning pathways to achieving the functional skills English and maths qualifications.  It includes information about funded online learning and exams.  Kusham Nijhar can support you with registration to online learning – BKSB and the exams – Open Access.

To compliment the HEE resources available, we have developed a slide pack to help you understand more about functional skills, identify whether you need to gain your functional skills qualifications and links to additional resources.

Click here for the HEE video

Click here for the Functional Skills slides Functional Skills

To register for BKSB or Open Access exams email: Kusham.nijhar@nhs.net or contact your local Training Hub.

Useful Links

Nursing Associate Higher Apprenticeship – Department of Nursing

Nursing Apprenticeship

Degree Apprenticeships – Learn more here – UCAS

Berkshire West Training Hub